This morning, I received a call from the Cheerios team at General Mills. I was very grateful for their direct and sincere approach to the concern from the food allergy community that a box of Multi Grain Cheerios apparently contained their new Peanut Butter and Chocolate cereal.
A lot had been circulating on social media, and it was good to hear directly from them.
I learned that one variety of the cereal is produced in a facility in Cedar Rapids (when you look at the box top and see the number across the top, it is preceded by “CR” which stands for their Cedar Rapids plant) and that the other is produced in a separate facility in another state. Needless to say, the concern on all sides runs deep as to how this could have happened.
They are asking for anyone who has experienced a reaction or received a box of Multi Grain Cheerios that does not contain multi grain cereal but something else to please contact their consumer relations team at 800-248-7310.
In their notes below, they are continuing to investigate. Since they have only heard from one consumer, they are considering it an isolated incident, until others contact them.
From the Cheerios team:
- Food safety is our top priority.
- This is an isolated incident, we only heard from one consumer and we are continuing to investigate.
- The box of Multigrain Cheerios cereal was packed months before we started producing Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios.
- We do not make or package Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios in the facility that this box of Multigrain Cheerios was packaged.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios is not even produced and packaged in the same state as the box of Multigrain Cheerios.
- For our Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheerios, we are adding the peanut butter at a separate facility within our supply chain.
- If consumers have any questions about any General Mills products, please contact our consumer relations team at 800-248-7310.
Again, if you have experienced anything unusual, please contact their consumer relations team at 800-248-7310.
Images of the box top and number that they would need are attached below. If you can also please provide your location and the store from which you purchased the box of cereal, it would be enormously helpful.